Human Resources Blog

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Powerful Moment Brought Me To Nursing



Today's post is from a new member of our blogging team! Terri Kleinman, RN is one of the recruiters here at All Children's Hospital who brings a unique combination of clinical and human resources experience to her position. This is Terri's first post!

Powerful Moments
I remember the moment I knew I wanted to be a nurse.  At 14 years old, I witnessed a motor vehicle accident while walking across a bridge over the lake where I grew up.  The accident involved two of my classmates, one of whom was ejected from his car just before it tilted over the bridge railing and crashed into the lake.   

My classmate landed on his back in the middle of the road.  I remember running and kneeling beside him.  Although he was conscious and able to communicate, he could not move and was very frightened.  

I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what to do.  When I realized he was not visibly bleeding from anywhere, all I could think to do was hold his hand and talk with him.   

As I reassured him that help was on its way, he seemed relieved and calmed down a bit.  My friend ended up being okay with only a few minor injuries.   I, on the other hand, could not stop thinking about how I wanted to learn the skills to be able to take care of someone who needed help.

On My Way
Many years later after becoming a wife and mother, I finally achieved my goal of becoming a Registered Nurse. How rewarding it was to pass the NCLEX after so much hard work.  I couldn’t wait to take care of patients!   

What a thrilling nursing journey it has been.

Although I have worked in health care for 26 years, working with the title ‘RN’ makes me most proud!  I feel so fortunate to have experienced many exciting nursing opportunities; from neonate to geriatric, from bedside to Catheterization Lab to Cardio-Vascular Operating Room; and from local community nursing to cardiac surgical mission work in the Dominican Republic, and so much more.

The most memorable and rewarding experience for me was when I scrubbed in for my first heart transplant surgery. I literally held in my hand an infant heart waiting to be placed into the receiving patient’s chest.  There are no words that can describe what you feel in a moment like that.  I only know I felt privileged to have been part of an amazing All Children’s cardiac surgery team.

Always Growing
In fact, most all of my amazing experiences have been at All Children’s Hospital.  Do you know why?  It is because All Children’s encourages unlimited professional development.  It is because All Children’s provides the support to achieve your professional goals. 


Terri Kleinman, Professional Recruiter"It is the culture and diversity of All Children’s Hospital that excites and instills a desire to learn and grow."

Yes, because of All Children’s Hospital I am now in a role in which I have the honor and privilege to build relationships with talented professional health care providers. Just like you, I have the desire to learn and grow; and working in this great place where we take the best care of children is just about perfect…only at All Children’s Hospital. 



- Terri







pic 






No comments: