Work With Me People!

3 Tips To Manage Your Time

One of my my greatest challenges is managing my time. Like many of you, I put in long hours at my job; and for me, I need to add a couple of hours of commuting time each day on top of that. It's okay, because I love my work, and the team of people I work with here at All Children's Hospital is terrific.

But simply liking your job doesn't mean that the challenges of managing your time go away. Here are some of my favorite time-saving tips that help me keep my sanity!

1. Use Your Calendar (the digital one!)
This may sound ridiculous, but making sure everything in your life gets on one calendar (no splitting between a "work" and "home" version) is essential. Without this first step, the rest of your journey to being organized and maximizing your precious time is guaranteed to fail.

2. Find Apps That Work For You
We all have so many things that we have to accomplish in a day, week or month that it almost feels overwhelming at times. I have found that keeping all of my meeting/club/hobby/you-name-it notes in Evernote has made a huge difference in my performance. Not only do I always have all of the notes from every meeting I attend; I don't have to deal with all of that wasteful paperwork! 
 
The other can't-live-without app for me is Wunderlist. This neat tool allows me to organize all of my tasks into categories, and sub-categories, so I can stay on top of all of my obligations.

3. Block Off Time to Get Things Done
Now you know why #1 is so important. If you're not using your calendar, you're never going to be able to ensure you schedule time to get your work completed. Forcing blocks of time onto your calendar is a critical step in managing your time wisely.

You're also going to need to learn to say "no" once in a while to meeting requests, or other time wasters. Protecting your time, staying organized, and giving yourself a chance to actually get your work done will ensure you take control of your time.

Let's face it, it's no fun when time is managing us!

-Jay



pic 


No comments: